Dear Mailing List,
News from the Boyd Cage has been thin on the ground for a while, but Change Is NOW! So much to report, I might even resort to bullet points….
- “Way To Blue”, the live cd of the Songs of Nick Drake concerts of the last three years is out April 15 on Carthage/Navigator in the UK and Carthage/StorySound in the US. And, if you must, you can buy it then from iTunes and other ‘low down’ – I mean ‘download’ – sites. A single of two out-takes is being released for Retail Store Day in the UK.
- The audio book of “White Bicycles”, read by yours truly is available at www.audible.com. It should also now be available at amazon.com and iTunes. If any of you are new to audio books, I get a nice bonus if you use “White Bicycles” as your initial order upon becoming a subscriber to audible.com. And you can follow the music as you read – or listen – on…
- A “White Bicycles” YouTube channel which tracks the music in the book chapter by chapter is now up and running at http://www.youtube.com/joeboydwhitebicycles
- I am hosting a series of events to celebrate the release of the “Way To Blue” cd – Wilton’s Music Hall London April 2 (tickets can be bought at http://www.wegottickets.com/event/214150); Joe’s Pub in New York City April 10 (http://tickets.joespub.com/production/?perf=20877 )
Cedar Cultural Center in Minneapolis on April 23
and rounded off by an event at the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles April 29. (tickets on sale soon)
Each event will feature clips from the Barbican concert and live performances by excellent singers paying homage to Nick’s songs
– more info on that to follow
- I am doing a bit of talking about Nick Drake and his songs at the Laugharne Weekend in Wales on April 5. Robyn Hitchcock, Charlotte Greig and Keitel Keinig will interrupt me to sing a Nick Drake song or two. http://s452743659.websitehome.co.uk/
- A double cd of the Kate McGarrigle concerts in London, New York and Toronto called “Sing Me The Songs” will be released in June by Nonesuch, coinciding with the release of the film of the New York Town Hall concert – “Sing Me The Songs (Which Say I Love You)”.
- There will be a two-day event at Brooklyn Academy of Music June 25 and 26 with a screening of the film on the 25th followed by a discussion about Kate’s legacy as a songwriter, then a concert starring Kate’s children Rufus and Martha Wainwright with a glittering array of guests.
- And speaking of Brooklyn, I will host two rare US screenings of “A Skin Too Few” at the Nitehawk Cinema in Williamsburg at noon on Saturday and Sunday, April 13 and 14. www.nitehawkcinema.com/
- On Thursday April 18 at 6:30pm I will give a keynote address to the EMP Pop Music Conference on the NYU campus in New York. It is free and open to the public. www.emppopnyc2013.com.
- And yes, loyal readers, on airplanes, in hotels, in borrowed offices, at home and anywhere I can find a flat surface and some peace and quiet, I will continue to write my as-yet-untitled book on World Music….
I was intending to reflect on what this all means in an engaging literary fashion, but I need to get this info out into the cyber-ether NOW – so stay tuned, I’ll fill you in with the appropriate platitudes at a later date.
Hope to see you here, there or everywhere!